Friday 19 January 2018

Carrot and coriander with a kick


One week after my unfortunate slip I'm appreciating the benefits of imposed relaxation:  I can lie on the sofa reading a trashy novel without feeling guilty; I have had several visitors who don't usually pop in, so there has been plenty of chatting while I paint and I have been on the lucky end of a homemade Kashmiri Chicken delivery.  On the downside I usually dream up my blogs on morning walks around Bodrum with Jake. Today's inspiration had to come from opening the fridge.  There were a lot of carrots - I've been painting them and now I've cooked them.
I like carrot and cilantro/coriander soup but I decided to make it more interesting. This one has a hot and sour kick which has booted it into first position on my favourite soup list.

This recipe is for 2 servings and is medium hot, add more chillies to fire it up.

5 medium carrots
1 red onion
2 inches of ginger
1 fresh red chilli pepper
1 lemon grass stick if you have it - not essential

Chop the above and soften in a tablespoon of oil or butter

Add half a litre of chicken or vegetable stock and simmer with the lid on until the carrots are soft.
Take off the heat and liquidise until smooth

I handful fresh coriander
1 lime

Chop the coriander and add to the soup
Grate the lime zest into the soup and add the juice of half a lime
(I'm sure this would work with lemon too)
Taste and add salt if needed




Warm up and serve. So simple but very tasty.


25 comments:

  1. ... the carrot paintings are delicious as well ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy and I love your carrot paintings. Hope you're in the mend. Axxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swelling has gone down - feels much better

      Delete
  3. Oh! how I love your carrot paintings, really great.
    I am posting a vegetable soup tomorrow that has a similar kick to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the ingredients so will make it tomorrow. It sounds lovely with the lemongrass and lime...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you like it. I made it again with a particularly hot chilli and it blew my head almost off

      Delete
  5. Dear Annie, thanks for the recipe. Sounds delicious and in the chill of winter here, I love to make soups! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Annie, Reading trashy novels, doing beautiful artwork - almost makes us envious, but not quite. Next week, we're definitely going to try the recipe. I've got the guys at the market trained to supply me with fresh cilantro every week, so we're good to go. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep some cilantro in the freezer and crumble it into soups

      Delete
  7. Sounds yummy but i can never get fresh coriander

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Migros 3 or5 ms usually have it and Metro nearly always has it

      Delete
  8. That painting of a bowl of soup is so realistic!
    ps Migros will continue to sell ethanol until April when the law change comes in to effect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the paintings! The soup looks good too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My word, you are such a talented artist, Annie. Gobsmackingly good. Where did you learn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you but I can only paint fruit and veg - it's the cook in me

      Delete
    2. Modesty becomes you, Annie.

      Delete
  11. Hi BacktoBodrum! Long silence from me and it's probably because I am not writing my own blog any more. So nice to read yours again. I love your paintings! So realistic. And I am sure the soup is great. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you're keeping busy! Those carrots look better and better mmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have 5 carrot painting now - nearly time to stop

      Delete
  13. Sounds like our kind of soup. :) Just the lime missing here. We've been watching Rick Stein touring Mexico and are craving limes. They're either non-existent or silly expensive in Fethiye. Great paintings too by the way. :)

    ReplyDelete