Sunday 3 September 2017

Gusto Restaurant on Kos




After a half hour wait on the docked ferry, we were allowed to disembark and join the queue for passport control. I hung back in the shade as furry coats and bright sunshine don't go together. It was noon when we got through and the Customs Officer only wanted to see the rabies vaccination stamp in my passport, not the blood test results and 'permission to travel to Europe' papers that had cost the boss over 1000 TL to complete and only last 4 months - I suspect we may be travelling further afield this year, if only to justify the outlay.  We now had 7 hours to fill until the ferry to Piraeus. An island bus trip would have been a great option but the buses don't take dogs so on the recommendation of close friends, we went to Gusto where for the first time in my life I was ordered my own meal, and  a very good chicken filet it was too.  The restaurant is popular for it seafood platters, the trays of giant prawns and octopus looked fantastic and the mostly Turkish  diners surrounding us were all enjoying the food.  I made friends with the owner Sinan and his mother Sonya who were happy to look after me while the boss visited the bathroom - a very important service for single people travelling with dogs - and generally kept us entertained and well fed for several hours.  They will also look after bags leaving travellers free to wander unencumbered.  Gusto's is the first restaurant on the beach next to the temporary ferry port but when the earthquake damage is repaired and the ferries move back to the opposite quay, I'm sure loyal customers  will walk the extra 10 minutes to dine.  I noticed all the ferry captains were lunching  there - always a sign you've picked the right place to eat. 

4 comments:

  1. Enjoy your travel adventures Jake! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your having quite an adventure Jake, and it sounds as if there is even more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try it next time I'm in Kos Jake. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A good start to your Greek holiday.

    ReplyDelete