Tuesday 22 September 2015

Bayram Blues


What is it about Bank Holidays and weather? Two days of rain were predicted to herald the start of Sacrifice Festival, Eid al-Adha, Kurban Bayam or what ever you call it. (I once overheard someone refer to it a "Blood in the Streets Day").  Last week, the Powers That Be decided to extend the holiday from 4 to 7 days and the weather forecast adjusted accordingly. We are now in the middle of three days of torrential downpours; gardens have turned into ponds and Bodrum's main highway resembles a river bed.
A snippet from my daughter's journey home 

What is it about Bank Holidays and technical malfunctions?  Our internet has worked perfectly for months but as the newly extended public break neared, our system went on a premature go-slow before giving up the ghost and crashing completely. A visit from a technician gave us brief hope on Saturday but all Sunday and Monday were spent disconnected from the outside world. We thought we'd be cut off until the end of the festival but are surprised and pleased to be back online today. I should have spent the weekend preparing lots of posts to fill the last few days of September but instead I've re-discovered burying myself in a good book or two. I have also slept much better than I have for ages so all those articles that tell us to ditch the social media before bedtime must be right after all.

 Related post - Bayram Best Wishes

14 comments:

  1. B to B, I have to say that in these days, it's hard to say what's going on. I will say, though, that after seeing your video, I'd get some heavy duty swimming equipment. Can we do yoga under these conditions?

    ReplyDelete
  2. . . a book, or a decent film, or music plus a couple of duble rakıs seems to settle me down very nicely. Funny thing is that here at the house we struggle with our mobile connection - at the site of our hide-away there is 3G to die for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read more books this week than in the last few months and I used to be a two book a week gal.

      Delete
  3. So far no rain in Istanbul. Am still in my shorts..but our internet is back - eureka!!! So that's good. Enjoy the holiday, iyi bayramlar, Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iyi Bayramlar, BB, lack of internet I find can be a real blessing - for a few days - amazing how we depend on it. Hope the rain eases down - a lot of rain at SE England too. Cok sevgiler, Ozlem x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the terrible images on Facebook. A Biblical flood for a Biblical feast. I hope your house is ok, Annie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. İyi Bayramlar. Bank holidays are same all over the world, it looks like. Saw photos of Bodrum after last night's storms. Geçmiş olsun. Hope everything's okay in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you all ok? I saw the flooding on the Dutch news website, it looks horrendous. Hopefully you are a bit higher up and it has stopped raining! It said as much rain fell in 48 hours in Bodrum as normally falls in 3 months in the Netherlands, not exactly a country known for being dry....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Idske, Thanks we are OK. The rain just ran by us in the country and we have some flood protection in place in the Bodrum house, although the water did get to within 3 cms of the front door. Say hello to Mayfield for me.

      Delete