Tuesday 12 February 2013

Walking with Spice

The "Strictly Come Dancing" craze has completely passed me by  so I can't tell a Rumba from a Samba. I last went to a dance class when I was 14 and I learnt how to "strip the willow", a technique I haven't found an opportunity to re-use in the intervening 40 years.  When I was a teenager,  admitting to having watched Come Dancing of a weekend was social suicide, but I must have done it a few times because the phrase "... and Doreen has sewn on every single sequin herself"  is embedded in my memory.  So did I go along today for Ballroom Fitness at Gym and Jam? Yes I did.  As a lure, Charlotte, the boss, sent me some research maintaining that dancing is the only physical (rather than mental) activity which offers protection against dementia and then, when I claimed to have two left feet, she threw in the line that "dancing is just walking with spice". Described like that, how could anyone refuse to give it a go.  I know I promised photographs, but I was so fixated on Charlotte's bottom half for the whole 60 minutes that I didn't have chance to take any good shots, so you will just get a picture of what I watched.

I have never stared so intently at another lady's rear in my life. 
We started with Rumba steps, moved on to Cha Cha Cha,  Tango and finally Waltz. I can't pretend that it all went swimmingly, but I don't think I disgraced myself too badly.  It was an amazing work-out and I'll be surprised if I don't have a few aching muscles tomorrow morning but I thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back again next week to  see if I can get my hips swinging in time to the music, rather than two beats behind which I was managing today.  

25 comments:

  1. Lovely! I was forced into ballroom classes in my early teens but didn't stay for long. However I did pick up the basic steps for the waltz and quickstep. Many years later, at a wedding, I was whisked around the room by a chap who could dance very well and I was surprised that I could follow him without stepping on his feet. It was exhilarating. You need a good male partner...get Mr BtoB to join!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The joy of these lessons is that you don't need a partner. Just use the dance steps to keep fit.

      Delete
  2. Hello:
    We are taking most seriously the premise that dancing 'offers protection against dementia'. As soon as we have written this we intend to roll back the carpet, wind up the gramophone and set to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the waltz would suit your elegant decor.

      Delete
  3. . . don't know what to say, really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about "cha cha cha"

      Do not say "Didn't she do well" because I'm allergic to Bruce Forsyth.

      Delete
  4. It looks like fun, and must be more interesting than pounding away on a treadmill. Enjoy ! Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very intense - I must try and keep my tongue in my mouth next week. Caught a very unflattering glimpse of myself in the mirrored walls the one time I looked up.

      Delete
  5. B to B, I so loved this post. It sounds like the kind of thing that you have to be of a certain age - like the 'I don't care a damn anymore, I'm gonna have some fun' age - to get such a kick out of ballroom dancing. Keep on steppin', gal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As long as I don't have to partner anyone, it should all go swimmingly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to dance round the Maypole as a child but that's just about it! By the way, that's Charlotte's thighs :-) I'm looking forward to seeing the Faceache pics of you shaking your tush tomorrow at the 'One Billion Rising' event!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't mind strip the willow....but I draw the line at mirrored walls.
    I shall be the one in the hijab...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo to you for having a go!! I have been a huge fan on the Strictly series on BBC but couldn't dare trying - don't have much of a coordination! must be good fun though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any coordination either, but starting slowly helps.

      Delete
  10. Dear Bodrum, I admire you for all you're doing to get fit--and already you've gone down several sizes! Wow! And Double Wow! I'm doing Weight Watchers, but nothing to tone these flabby arm and leg and midriff muscles. You've got me thinking that I need to find a dance class. I love to dance and so maybe that's the answer to the "gym" with its equipment that seems so boring to me. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that's the kind of exercise I think I could enjoy, despite being another with two left feet. As long as I don't have to risk tripping over or standing on some poor person's feet, I'd be willing to have a go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't take it seriously, it's a good laugh.

      Delete
  12. Now, the gym I would not do but I would like to do dance classes...

    My parents (well into their eighties) were regular attenders at Tango class till very recently. Hoping that they will be back at the Tango again very soon. Apparently Tango is excellent for warding off dementia and alleviating the worst effects of Parkinsons...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for confirming that dancing wards off dementia.

      Delete
  13. This looks like fun.....I tried the "Zumba" classes here and could barely crawl back into my car. Keep up the good work, I should be inspired by you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erica - I'm way off rumba fitness yet - that looks more like torture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I visit each day some websites and blogs to read content, however this website offers feature
    based articles.

    Here is my page - GFI Norte

    ReplyDelete