Saturday 21 July 2012

Road Manners

I've been observing teenage boys playing computer games while I've been away and their aim seems to be to survive in one piece while causing as much collateral damage as possible in their wake. Similarly,  if that isn't the intention of the average driver as he gets into his car in Turkey, it is often the result. The Swedish roads are very different. Speed limits are set very low and seem to be universally adhered to. 30kmph is the suggested maximum in the towns which is only just above a crawl. I have only been overtaken once while here and I forced the driver to do it as I dithered over whether I was heading for Boarp or Paarp. I sat in a traffic jam for 30 minutes in Bastad and a motorbike waited behind me the whole time, even though there was no oncoming traffic. I have to drive past three small cottages in a narrow lane on my way to the shops and I've been very careful to keep my speed below 20 kmph as I pass, but after a few days two cute signs painted by children went up which I assume are warnings to cut my speed.  It seems I'm viewed as the irresponsible driver for once.


9 comments:

  1. What a difference? Are you smoking fish, and whats good on the menu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly marinating. So many different recipes for it here. Lots using sugar, vodka and different herbs.

      Delete
  2. . . blimey! Your average driver in Turkey does better than that backing off their patch into the main road. The fact that you may be smoking 'fish' (we used to call it dope) probably accounts for your mellow driving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuck in Swedish traffic? Surely not? I read that the Swedish road system is designed to cope with 25% more traffic than actually exists at any one time. This explains why the roads are so empty (well, they were when I was there) - that and the fact it's a huge country with a population of slighty more than Greater London!). Bet you can't wait to get back to Bodrum to burn some rubber.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hit the town just as the mens' tennis open finished. The only jam of the year.

      Delete
    2. I hit the town just as the mens' tennis open finished. The only jam of the year.

      Delete
  4. Hello. I'm wondering if there is much "drunk driving" in Sweden and in Turkey. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one drink drives in Sweden. It costs way too much to get drunk!

    ReplyDelete