Thursday 31 May 2012

Highland Tea



You’ve probably noticed that since returning to live in Turkey,  I’ve become partial to a thistle. Three posts so far on cooking and identifying them. This post comes to you from Scotland, a country proud of its national prickly flower. I haven’t actually seen one growing yet but I was chuffed to find in Inverness Tesco, a box of Thistle tea . It went straight into my trolley and although it tastes pleasant enough, it’s a bit bland and I can’t help feeling I’ve been mildly deceived. There is a big picture of a purple flower on the front of the packet but in the very small print on the side the ingredients list just 4.5% thistle to 95.5% black tea.  When I get home I’ll be drying the flowers to see if I can get a better ratio.  This is my first time in Scotland since the late 1970’s  and all I can remember about my first trip was the non-stop rain and bouncing  through the highlands in an ancient Land Rover Defender with wooden bench seats, sharing the already cramped vehicle with a long dead seal in a black plastic bag. This week’s trip coincided with the best weather Scotland’s ever had, (well for a long time). It was 27 degrees when I landed, which was about 5 degrees hotter than Bodrum and cruising along in Range Rover with defunct air conditioning,  I was thankful that there were no dead aquatic animals in the back.

4 comments:

  1. look forward to hearing about your addition to your Thistle Tea! hope it's relieved of blandness! happy your travel through Scotland was a bit more comfortable this time! must have been beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't tried thistle tea yet, but I've seen plenty of wild thistle growing around during our travels in Turkey. Aphrodisias had thistles growing in many places among the ruins! I bet Scotland was pretty green too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a tea drinker but am always fascinated by the many different types of tea that can be found. Maybe I should really try to like tea.

    Hope the weather stays as it is for you, and hope you're not working too hard xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't tried any thistle tea yet.....I love herbal teas. I must give it a try. Hope you are having a good time in Scotland, would love to go myself. My brother's Father in Law is Scottish and love hearing his stories.

    ReplyDelete